Friday, December 3, 2010

Targets Arts-Holiday Residency Teaching Artist Check– In 11/29/-12/3/2010


Targets Arts- Holiday Residency

Teaching Artist Check–In

School: Ellison-Parks; Week of 11/29/2010-12/3/2010

My goals for this week:  
  Continue flamenco choreography, student memorization of choreography, increase student involvement, continue yoga poses and message of goodwill to all, non-possessiveness, self acceptance, peace, respect for self and others. 

Achievements/Accomplishments What worked well this week?  
  The increase of choreographic memorization has more and more students involved. I came at the class with a new tactic on Monday. I used a predetermined play list which includes:  warm up songs, the flamenco choreography's song and Junkanoo music. I just get the kids moving at the onset of class. They follow me through the warm ups and Carol joins in and also helps to quiet down the more unruly students and she tries to keep some order. I challenge the kids to reach for high levels of learning and memorization and I just keep the music going. I have incorporated yoga, Junkanoo and flamenco into the warm up. 

  The style of flamenco I am using for the choreography is Rumba Flamenco:
Flamenco Rumba (also called Rumba Flamenca, Rumba Gitana, Gypsy Rumba or Spanish Rumba) is a style of Flamenco music which derives its style from the influence of Afro-Cuban Rumba brought back from Cuba to Spain in the 19th century. It is usually accompanied by guitars and hand clapping (Palmas). However, modern performers (guitarists and dance groups) such as Paco de Lucia and Tomatito have incorporated congas and cajon to the percussion section as well as hand clapping.

Challenges/ Solution Identify some challenges you faced this week and what you did to meet them.
  I had previously determined the need to reduce the "free time" during the class and I accomplished this with my new play list, choreography and then using the yoga as a way to calm the kids down at the end. They continue to love "Yogini Went To Sea" which is a yoga song I use and I make sure that is something we do before the end of class. I end each class with savasana, which is for total relaxation and self focus.

Peer to Peer/Buddy System Notes Let us know what relationships are forming and how things are going with your assistant:
  Many students are interested in continuing to dance with me, which I know will be difficult since I do not live in their area. I appreciate their connection to my art and myself and feel honored at their desire to learn more from me.

Attendance and participant behavior issues:
  There are some kids who just do not listen to directions and I have learned to "ignore" a large part of it. I have every child continue to be a part of the learning process and encourage each child to rise above the noise and commotion and have self focus. I have noticed a number of students who really are participating 100% and are learning and memorizing the material and are becoming role models for the students around them.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment