Friday, March 2, 2012

Think Yoga



Think Yoga







My yoga practice originated with the intention to strengthen my own mind-body connection. Through it, I have become a conscious observer of how the body teaches the mind and how the mind teaches the body and how the two are forever intertwined; each entity mutually benefiting from the other’s wisdom. I have learned to tap into self awareness though breath, meditation and movement and I have learned to let the restlessness of my mind, my self-awareness, be stilled and in the quiet moments of meditation and deep relaxation, I have found the treasures of joy and fulfillment within myself.  


I noticed that my son was naturally drawn to my practice. Anthony rises each day like a lotus blossom. I love the times when he spontaneously begins an asana practice. He performs a natural and joyful flow, moving from Downward Facing Dog (with a few woofs and wags) to Cobra (slithering across the floor hissing). Then Triangle to Half-Moon to Side Plank….and the new challenge: Headstand, then laying back and flipping up into Candle and Plow and finishing with his favorite pose, Crane! Anthony benefits from my yoga practice by both attending the classes I teach and being surrounded by it at home. He is a willing participant in my classes, enthusiastically inviting his friends to join in the fun of yoga. He enjoys the process in yoga that provides within him the opportunity to release his pent up emotions through a mindful and expressive process.


One day, as he started to lose his temper, I told him to sit down and take a few breaths and he said to me, “Mom, everything is not about yoga.” Yet he knows that if he controls his breathing, he will relax. He has come to equate calm breathing with yoga, so the seed is planted. I know that he was born embodying the yoga precepts and that by cultivating yoga around him, he will always be enlightened from his experiences, reaching from deep within to welcome each day. Yoga has taught Anthony to be content with his surroundings and he exhibits this state of contentment by being compassionate, kind and confident. We teach him to address his own consciousness and he knows to support peoples’ differences. If a situation provokes him, he knows that by changing his attitude he will overcome his feelings of anger and become more at peace with the situation.


In the moments at the end of each day, Anthony and I take time to see that life is joyful. We are thankful for our time together, for the dawning of each new day, and most importantly we are thankful for being ourselves. Yoga has empowered us with a safe haven that can be tapped into deep inside ourselves where we can find fulfillment.
  
Eve Agush has been teaching flamenco , tap and yoga in the Boston community for the past eighteen years and  specializes  in teaching  children of all abilities. Ms. Agush is a familiar face on the Boston dance scene, contributing her considerable experience to events such as Dance Across the City Day, The Children’s Dance Festival, City Dance ,Dance in the Schools Program, and Day of Healing @ Edwards Church. Eve Agush is the founder and Artistic Director of the AdamAnt Eve Dancers, a rhythmic dance troupe performing flamenco and traditional jazz tap. Eve is Radiant Child Yoga Levels 1 & 2 certified,  a Baptiste Power Yoga Assistant Level 1, Core Yoga:I School Yoga Certified, and Warriors at Ease Level 1 Certified and teaches a free yoga class for Veteran's @ Edwards, Church Framingham, MA. She is currently enrolled  in the 500 hour In Depth Studies and the Art of Teaching Program taught by Barbara Benagh.

No comments:

Post a Comment